Sunday, May 11, 2008

Reflections on Law School

It's been a long three years. It is perhaps not a wholesale exaggeration to say that it feels like I've been in exile. St. Louis has never felt like home the way Grand Rapids or even South Bend did. But thankfully there has been a fiery pillar to lead me out.

I began law school half-mad from loneliness, not only because I didn't know anyone here, but also because I had not made many, if any, close friends in graduate school or college. Thankfully the Lord provided me with companions on my journey. I have made many close friends here, closer than any I have made since high school. And, of course, the gift of A was pure grace.

Intellectually, I can't honestly say it's been the best three years. Law school occupies the unenviable position of providing neither practical training nor intellectual stimulation. But the last three years have seen me make great strides in my emotional and spiritual development, which may be almost as important as being smart.

Overall, I'm glad for the last three years. Law school itself has probably done more harm than good. But the things I've learned from my church, from my friends, from my internship, and from A I think have all contributed to make me a better person than I was three years ago.

On a different note, this will be the last post I'm making on this blog. I've started a new blog, where you can read future posts as well as my reasons for ending this one. It's located at dcmanabouttown.blogspot.com. Happy reading!

Edit: I've decided to continue this blog here, mostly because it provides a general outlet, but also because I like the name. Hopefully someone's still listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home