Friday, July 07, 2006

The 'Emerging' Church

Once again, I'm posting on an article from the CRC publication, The Banner. Another article in the June issue discusses what the author terms "The emerging church". L, I'll respond to your comment regarding the last post just as soon as R or N comments on it (*pokes 'em*).

In his article, Rev. Mark Brower talks about the shift from a 'modern' church to a 'post-modern' church. This sort of talk always worries me, for two reasons. One is a general disdain for the though that the postmodern is somehow something new. I just don't like the term, is what it boils down to, I guess. I'd prefer if people would use the term 'late modern' or something like that. Maybe that rant can be another post, though. My other worry is simply that this talk sounds a bit too much like Spong. There is some thought out there that the church must change, and I think this is fundamentally mistaken, even when thought by people who think that we can still hold on to the fundamentals. Even if we gave up all the shiny things seeker churches like, and just sang Gregorian chants in drafty cathedrals, people would still be attracted to the saving power of Christ.

Anyway, now that I have my pet peeves off my chest, I want to discuss the specific points that Brower makes. Brower speaks of four transitions he sees the Church making: From a seeker to a mission mindset, From salvation as life after death to salvation as life, and From hierarchy to network, From presentation to participation. I want to discuss each one of these in a later post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home