Sunday, February 11, 2007

Now with more heart

Okay, so this is kinda embarrassing, but there's this show on Toon Disney I rather like called W.I.T.C.H. A description of the show is here. Why do I like it? Well, the artwork is a little above average, and the plot is certainly above average, but really why I like it, is it does a good job of showing heart.

At least some of you, I'm sure, remember the old show Captain Planet. Five kids got rings that gave them special powers. Four of them were pretty cool -- fire, earth, air, and water. But the poor fifth kid got the power of heart. What did this let him do? Well, pretty much, you needed him to summon Captain Planet, but that was about it. He was the youngest, tagged along, and was generally annoying. Perhaps the creators of the show failed to realize that the team's cute sidekick shouldn't himself be a member of the team.

Will, by comparison, is also the heart of the team. In some ways, her role is similar to that fifth kid's in Captain Planet. Her powers aren't as showy as her teammates. But she's the leader of the team, and so the heart in a much more real sense than that kid. She keeps the team together and guides them.

So I guess what I'm saying is that WITCH is better than Captain Planet. Talk about damning with faint praise...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home